BRAVE TOMATO! By Michela Chiappa for Barilla
This family classic is the ideal starter recipe to get cooking with the kids! Serves 4 people.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped or whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 stock cube of your choice
- Salt and pepper to season
- Basil leaves
- Barilla Penne
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium high heat and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes until soft then add the tomatoes, cayenne and crumble in the stock cube.
- Simmer gently for 10 to 15 mins.
- Season to taste and stir through the basil leaves.
- Cook the Barilla pasta according to the instructions on the pack.
- Mix together and enjoy!
BUILD THOSE SKILLS
We’ve chosen this sauce because not only does it make a tasty pasta dish on its own, but a few simple tweaks and it turns into so many more amazing dishes. Here are some of Michela’s suggestions:
- My kids love tearing in salami to give it a tasty kick
- I add a tin of tuna if my kids need a really hearty and filling dish (great after a swimming lesson!)
- Add in aubergines and pecorino to turn this into the classic pasta alla norma
Watch the video with Michela here.
For recipe ideas from family chef Michela Chiappa to get your kids started on their culinary journey, please visit Barilla’s Kids in Cucina Hub.