The New Year always makes us re-evaluate who we are, areas of our lives we are happy with and things we would like to improve. After having children it is really common for parents to feel like they lose themselves a bit (or even a lot!).
Now all your time is focused on little people, doing things for yourself can often be the last thing on the list. Before we know it our children are getting a bit bigger and we catch a glimpse of ourselves in the mirror and aren’t sure we recognise the person looking back. Sound familiar? This is a sure sign you need to start putting yourself higher up that to-do list.
Now I must stress that the way you feel is absolutely not all about how you look, but from speaking to other mum friends I know that your appearance can have a big impact on how you feel about yourself. So, could it be time for a little mummy makeover?
As well as enjoying a healthy lifestyle, eating and drinking well, and looking after your mental health, there may be one thing on the list below that seems achievable and could have a big impact on how you feel.
7 Ways You Can Give Yourself a Mummy Makeover
1. Go for a Haircut or Hair Treatment - Getting a new haircut or treating yourself to a professional hair treatment can be a transformative experience. A fresh hairstyle can instantly uplift your mood and give you a new look. Just remember to go for a style that is easy for you to maintain. I live with my hair up, but always go to the hairdressers with the intention of having a nice style that I can wear down. After a few days, it goes back into its trademark bun, so now I have started asking for a style with more of a fringe/definition around the face so it at least looks a bit nicer when it’s up.
2. Skincare Routine - Invest time in a skincare routine that suits your skin type. It doesn't have to be elaborate; even a basic routine involving cleansing, moisturizing, and sun protection can make a significant difference in how you feel and look. If you were to choose one thing from this list, I would definitely go for adding a daily sun protection! I wear factor 50 on my face everyday, even in the winter and my skin seems so healthy.
3. Wardrobe Refresh - Updating your wardrobe with a few key pieces that make you feel comfortable and stylish can have a big impact. Focus on items that flatter your body shape and make you feel good about yourself. Pinterest is great for ideas on new styles if you aren’t sure what you like. Again, it’s good to make this achievable, so if you normally live in leggings and t-shirts, maybe get some comfy, flattering dresses and a nice pair of shoes to wear with those trust leggings.
4. Exercise and Nutrition - Incorporating regular exercise and a balanced diet into your routine can improve your physical health and enhance your mental well-being. Activities like yoga, walking, or joining a fitness class not only help in getting fit but also provide an opportunity for some 'me time'. Being outside each day can do wonders for your mental health, bonus points if this daily exercise includes doing something like walking with a friend where you can have a chat and put the world to rights.
5. Pampering and Relaxation - Treat yourself to some pampering, like a massage, a manicure-pedicure session, or a relaxing bath. Taking time out for relaxation helps in reducing stress and rejuvenating your body and mind. This can be something you do simply at home or at a local spa. With events like Mother’s Day and Birthdays, instead of asking for gifts you could ask for a voucher for some nice treatments.
6. Makeup Consultation or Class - Consider a professional makeup consultation or a makeup class. Learning new makeup techniques or updating your look can be a fun way to boost your confidence and explore different styles. There are plenty of make-up artists who will come to your home, but equally lots of department stores with beauty counters will do free make up tutorials in the hope you will buy the make-up they use. If you are looking for some new make-up this is a great way to try out some different brands too. Fancy trying out some new looks yourself? Places like Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest are full or tutorials and inspiration.
7. Give your nails a splash of colour - This can easily be done at home, but if you fancy an extra treat you can go to a nail salon and have them done professionally. I have recently started painting my nails and I absolutely love them! They are quite hard work to maintain, but I find it quite therapeutic painting my nails! Just make sure you have some peace and quiet to let them dry, I’ve had so many smudged attempts after having to get up after an application to get someone a drink or snack.
Hopefully this list will help you in some way if you are looking to make a few changes. Like I said above, the way you look is absolutely not everything! Hopefully you have stumbled across this list if you are actively looking for some tips to update your style.
If you want to add some fitness into your new lifestyle, but are wondering how you can do it with a baby or children in tow, we have some great ideas for workouts you can do with your baby and how to get fit as a family.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find your happy :)